A double chin happens when a layer of fat just under our skin becomes loose and droops down. This creates an extra layer of skin which hangs under the chin. A double chin is mostly observed in people who are overweight and it is commonly believed that only overweight people can get affected by it. In reality, a double chin can happen due to ageing which causes the skin under the chin to wrinkle. This causes sagging of the neck skin. In extreme cases, a double chin reduction is only possible by a surgery known as the neck lift. Also, our genetic makeup plays a very important role in determining whether or not we will get a double chin in our lifetime. Apart from genes and weight, the bodily functions may also cause a person to have a double chin. Some people suffer from water retention under the chin which gives them a double chin.
Treatment for mild cases of double chin reduction begins with dietary and lifestyle changes. If your double chin is due to weight, then one of the best things to do would be to follow a diet which is low in sodium and fats. However, if your double chin is because of other reasons, the best treatment in that case would be to choose a double chin removal or reduction surgery.
What is a double chin removal and reduction surgery?
The surgery which is done for double chin removal and reduction generally has two components. One component of a double chin reduction surgery is the removal of the excess fat from under the skin while the second component involves treatment of the loose skin which is left behind. Generally, treatment of double chin is performed by combining these two treatments together. One of the top methods that are used in removal of fat from a double chin is liposuction. Mostly all patients who undergo treatment for double chin reduction only require liposuction. After the fat removal, the skin becomes taut on its own.
For more dramatic results from a double chin reduction surgery, generally, in addition to liposuction a neck lift surgery may also be done for the best results. By combing both the treatments, i.e. liposuction and the neck lift, overall best results can be obtained.
Are there any options available for double chin removal, except surgery, which are available in India?
India today is home to the top technologies in cosmetic medicine. There are various treatments available in India for double chin removal and reduction. If a patient does not want to undergo surgery, the next best option would be non- surgical liposuction. Various non- surgical liposuction treatments like
Ultherapy give the best results for fat reduction and rejuvenation of the double chin area. Some more options available for non- surgical double chin removal are:-
- Zeltiq Coolsculpting: – Zeltiq Coolsculpting works on the principle of cryolipolysis. Cryolipolysis helps in elimination of stubborn fat cells from the body by freezing the fat cells. In Zeltiq Coolsculpting, the fat cells are targeted by cooling them which kills these fat cells by staying inside the fat pockets. The best feature about Zeltiq Coolsculpting is that no damage is caused to the skin or any other healthy tissues in the body.
- Kybella: – Kybella is the latest non- surgical treatment which is available today that melts away the double chin fat. The composition of Kybella is similar to a bile acid produced by our body which is known as Deoxycholic acid. This acid works to destroy the fat cells. In order to achieve complete results, generally 5-6 sessions are required at a gap of minimum 30 days. A patient may be given 45- 50 shots of Kybella in a single session. Results are generally visible within three to four sessions though it depends upon a patient’s particular case.
- Phosphatidylcholine: – Phosphatidylcholine is the primary active ingredient in commercially available injectable compounds which are injected directly in the subcutaneous fat. The mixture that is used for melting the fat under the chin consists of Phosphatidylcholine and deoxychlorate. On being injected with this compound, the patient may feel a burning sensation but that generally subsides within sometime. It is an excellent treatment for targeted weight loss that too without having to undergo the knife.
- Deoxycholic acid: – Ever since it was discovered, Deoxycholic acid has been used for various purposes including weight loss. In human body, the Deoxycholic acid works by emulsifying the fat cells which are eventually metabolized by our body. It is injected directly into the double chin area at a distance of 1 cm between sites of injections. A patient may need to get 3- 8 sessions depending upon the amount of fat that needs to be treated. The fat pockets just get molten away by Deoxycholic acid injections.
- HIFU: – Various HIFU treatments like Ultherapy and Sygmalift are now available which make use of ultrasound waves to target the deeper layers of skin. With HIFU treatments, significant amount of skin tightening can be achieved within a few sessions. HIFU treatments trigger the body’s own response towards tissues regeneration, so not only the skin on the outside looks tightened it also looks rejuvenated. Ultherapy makes use of ultrasound waves only while Sygmalift combines ultrasound with laser.
- Surgical Liposuction: – It is considered to be a fool-proof solution to eliminate fat pockets from problem areas in a person’s body. These fat pockets are the obstruction in the last mile of a person’s weight loss journey. Surgical liposuction involves the fat to be vacuumed out of the body through incisions which are made in the body. Surgical liposuction can be used to reduce the thickness of the fat under the chin which may not be responding at all to other non- surgical options.
As lifestyle disorders become more common in India, people are moving dangerously forward towards obesity, on top of ageing much faster than ever before. Because of the combined effect of these factors, double chin is one of the top cosmetic issues in India. Most people do not want to undergo invasive surgery for double chin removal. So, the best solution for double chin removal in such a case would be liposuction. Liposuction is a common procedure for double chin removal in India. The treatment by liposuction for double chin is similar to the way liposuction is performed on the body. Double chin removal by liposuction is successful in most cases except the ones in which the skin of the neck is very loose.
Why liposuction is preferred choice of patients in India for double chin removal?
Treatment and removal of double chin by liposuction has many advantages. It is the best choice for people who are struggling with that last bit of fat under their chin. After liposuction when the treatment is complete, the skin under the chin looks smoothened and rejuvenated. Also the incisions are very minor and concealed. The results of liposuction become evident soon after the treatment.
Liposuction by laser and other methods are performed at The Esthetic Clinics in Mumbai. Dr. Debraj Shome creates the treatment plan for all his patients who come to The Esthetic Clinics in Mumbai. Dr. Debraj Shome says that all patients that come to his clinics in Mumbai for double chin removal and surgery are not treated with the same plan. No two patients that visit his Mumbai clinics have exactly the same problem, so if a surgery is required or not is decided on a case-to- case basis at The Esthetic Clinics in Mumbai. The main objective of Dr. Shome’s practice and clinics in Mumbai is to understand the individual requirements of the patients so that no one has to go through unnecessary surgery. In most hospitals in India, before the liposuction surgery, generally patients are not informed about the possible complications. On the contrary, at The Esthetic Clinics in Mumbai in India, a strict policy of transparency with patients is followed. At Dr. Shome’s Mumbai Clinics, before surgery or any other treatment, there will be a consultation where you can ask any question about your surgery. All the branches of The Esthetic Clinics in Mumbai work on the same philosophy and that is ‘a patient’s trust should always be maintained’. At all the branches of The Esthetic Clinics in Mumbai, surgery is considered to be the last option and you will be consulted about various non- surgical treatments as well. If you have to take liposuction treatment for your chin or any other type of surgery, you can be a 100% sure about The Esthetic Clinics in Mumbai. The concept on which these clinics operate upon in Mumbai has never been used before in India. The credit goes to Dr. Shome whose vision has led to the success of these clinics in Mumbai.
People in India are becoming more conscious about cosmetic treatments than ever before. And in the coming few years, India will be one of the top countries where the highest number of cosmetic surgeries will take place. Few revolutionaries like Dr. Shome (co- founder of The Esthetic Clinic in Mumbai) have ensured that India continues to progress in the field of cosmetic and facial plastic surgery. India is now known for plastic surgery because of efforts of Dr. Shome. Indeed, his clinics are at the top in Mumbai as no one can compete with his standards of treatment and surgery in entire India.