Hyperhidrosis is a medical condition in which the patient tends to suffer from the problem of excessive sweating. People who suffer from Hyperhidrosis may sweat excessively from just the regular sweat producing parts or their entire bodies may be affected by excessive sweating. If a patient suffers from excessive sweating in the underarms the condition is known as Axillary Hyperhidrosis while excessive sweating from the palms of the hand or soles is known as Palmoplantar Hyperhidrosis. Excessive sweating can even make tasks of everyday life difficult. For example a person who suffers from excessive sweating may find it very difficult to even hold a pen to write or properly hold cutlery while eating.
Triggers for Hyperhidrosis:-
A person suffering from Hyperhidrosis generally has good health. Excessive sweating could be just a symptom of an underlying problem. Sometime emotions or hormones may trigger excessive sweating, but people who suffer from clinical Hyperhidrosis tend to sweat for no apparent reason.
What are causes of Hyperhidrosis?
The cause for primary Hyperhidrosis is completely unknown. This means that if a person suffers from the problem of excessive sweating but there is no apparent reason for it, the person is suffering from primary Hyperhidrosis. Secondary Hyperhidrosis is due to some other problem such as menopause, cancer etc.
Types of Hyperhidrosis:-
Focal Hyperhidrosis is the condition in which excessive sweating is caused in only one body part, for example the armpits. The rest of the body may be sweating normally in this case. If the patient is suffering from excessive sweating from all over his body the condition is known as generalized Hyperhidrosis.
The classification of Hyperhidrosis is also done according to the body part which is affected by excessive sweating.
- Palmar Hyperhidrosis: – Palmar Hyperhidrosis is a type of focal Hyperhidrosis which refers to excessive perspiration from the palms. Palmar Hyperhidrosis may also be accompanied by excessive perspiration from soles of the feet. Palmar Hyperhidrosis can become obstruction in the daily life routine of the patient. It can also lead to social awkwardness and embarrassment. Palmar Hyperhidrosis may manifest itself in patient in varying degrees. The patient may suffer from mild sweating or acute perspiration which leaves the palms extremely wet. Palmar Hyperhidrosis which present itself without any obvious cause is known as Primary Palmar Hyperhidrosis while Palmar Hyperhidrosis which is caused due to some underlying disorder is known as Secondary Palmar Hyperhidrosis. For the treatment of Palmar Hyperhidrosis, Botox is injected at the site i.e. palms in a pre-meditated pattern. Temporary pain may be experience but Botox is 95 % effective in curing the condition. The effects last for about 6- 7 months after which a patient has to take Botox again. For complete resolution, generally minimum 50 units of Botox are injected in each palm at a distance of 1- 2 cm. The dose will depend upon the patient’s condition.
- Plantar Hyperhidrosis: – It is the condition in which the feet of a person sweat excessively. While it is normal to sweat moderately from the feet, people suffering from this condition have abnormally wet feet. Because of excessively sweaty feet, the condition is accompanied by foul odor. The wet skin of feet serves as an incubator for various infections such as toenail infection. There is no known cause of this condition however; it can be inherited in family. Botox can be injected on each foot and the dosage varies according to the size of the feet of the patient. Minimum 120- 130 units of Botox are injected and the effects of the treatment last for 4- 6 months depending upon the severity of the condition.
- Axillary Hyperhidrosis: – Axillary Hyperhidrosis is the name given to the condition in which excessive sweating of the underarms takes place. Generally, Axillary Hyperhidrosis is observed to begin at the onset of puberty. Because of excessive sweating in the armpits, the patient generally suffers from sweat stains which are very prominent. The patient also suffers from body odor. A patient suffering from this condition becomes a social recluse because of the excessive armpit sweating. Prescription antiperspirants may be effective in some patients however for more permanent solution, Botox is recommended. The effects of Botox last from 7- 12 months in axillary Hyperhidrosis. In most cases, 50 units of Botox are injected into each armpit at 10- 15 sites. The distance between each injection site is about 2 cm. The injection distance and the dose are variable.
Symptoms of Hyperhidrosis:-
- Hyperhidrosis causes excessive sweating to the extent that even during the day when the temperature is not too high in India, a person may have to change clothes several times in a day.
- The sweating may cause a hindrance in performing even routine tasks like holding objects like spoon, pens etc. Because of the excessive sweating the patient seems to not be able to hold these things.
Treatment options available for Hyperhidrosis in India:-
After the diagnosis of the Hyperhidrosis is done by the doctor, mostly the first step of the treatment is antiperspirant. Antiperspirants work simply by plugging the sweat glands. Special antiperspirants which only can be taken on prescription are advised by the doctors for the treatment. Antiperspirants may cause side effects like itching during the treatment. But the treatment of excessive sweating using antiperspirants is only a temporary solution.
One of the more effective treatment options for treating Hyperhidrosis which is used quite frequently in India today is Botox. Botox is also one of the top treatment options for curing wrinkles. Technically, treatment for Hyperhidrosis is not permanent by the use of Botox also; however, it is a comparatively long- term treatment solution.
Botox for the treatment of Hyperhidrosis:-
During the treatment for excessive sweating from the underarm area, as Botox is administered in to the skin, it creates the blockage at the tip of the nerves which act as signal transmitters to the sweat glands. As there is no sensation in the nerves, the sweat glands do not get the signal to produce more sweat. During the course of treatment Botox is considered to be the last option. Botox is of no use in the treatment of general Hyperhidrosis as treatment of this type of Hyperhidrosis would require large doses of Botox. But Botox is still a very effective solution for treating Hyperhidrosis in cases where no other treatment seems to work.
Things to remember before you take Botox treatment for Hyperhidrosis in India:-
Though Botox has practically been in use in India since decades for the treatment of wrinkles and other problems there are still many things that you should keep in mind before taking Botox treatment in India. In Mumbai you will find many of beauty’ clinics’ which claim to provide treatment with Botox. Though these shady places in Mumbai call themselves to be clinics, the truth is they are not accredited institutions. Getting Botox treatment done by these fraudsters can actually be fatal. In cities, like Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai we often come across various forms of advertising about discounted treatment plans by Botox. In the last few years, Mumbai has witnessed increase in the number of fraud clinics and imposters who give wrong Botox treatment to unsuspecting patients. If you want the best quality Botox treatment, remember there is no cheap alternative to it. The top cosmetic clinics in Mumbai and other cities would provide you with the best quality Botox treatment and would ensure that you get the top of the line services. So Botox may be the top choice for Hyperhidrosis treatment but from where you get the best treatment for Botox is also a big decision. You can always be sure to get the top quality treatment from the best doctor in Mumbai, Dr. Debraj Shome. He is one of the most famous personalities of India in the field of medicine and he has his practice in Mumbai. He is one of the top plastic surgeons in India and routinely performs Botox treatment on a lot of people in Mumbai. His clinics in Mumbai provide consultations and services for various treatments including Botox and have been awarded various awards for providing best cosmetic services in India. If you want to get the best Botox treatment but you are not a resident of Mumbai and stay somewhere else in India, you can contact Dr. Debraj and his clinics online. With the help of online consultation, you would be clear what to expect before you make the decision to travel to Mumbai for treatment from other parts of India. In this modern age, Dr. Debraj has made it possible for patients from outside the city of Mumbai to get in touch with him. You can be anywhere from India and still be able to take best consultation for Botox from him. He has played a key role in establishing the first e- hospital of India. So, whether you are a resident of Mumbai or anywhere in India, best quality healthcare is everyone’s right. And at our Mumbai centers we are available 24 *7 for our patients from India.