Chin Implant & Augmentation in India
It has been a well proven fact that the symmetry of the face is one of the parameters, by which we measure attractiveness of the face. However, there are many more factors that make a face appealing. It is your face that catches the attention of a passerby, a friend, or a foe, first.
Who does not want to look beautiful & attractive? People apply make up, use beauty creams & lotions so as to look attractive. But there are certain facial features that make you look good naturally. High cheek bones, wide-set eyes, a small nose & a tapering chin are said to make you look appealing. Sharp facial features make one look more appealing. However, beauty does not have set guidelines. It differs from person to person. Everybody will have a different perception when it comes to beauty.
At the time of getting photographed, when the flash is used, the flash light bounces off the bony structure of your face – particularly, the forehead, the nose, the cheeks, & the chin. This is one of the reasons why the facial features become the most crucial in determining how you photograph.
Importance of chin in facial shapes:
Best face shape for Women – Face shape plays a very important part in making women appear feminine and more appealing. Oval face is thought to be the best facial shape for women.
Best face shape for Men – There is a huge % of males who have a square face shape, and is the most desired and ideal shape to work with. The angular jaw line, clefted, well defined chin, all of these give rise to a manly face.
Importance of chin in shape of the nose: The size of the chin should be proportionate to the size of the nose, in order to achieve facial proportion and maintain symmetry of the face.
What is a Weak Chin? The term “weak chin” is not a literal expression, but a figurative expression. It is nothing but a poorly projecting bony prominence along the central jaw bone. Also as it is correctly said, a stronger and wider jaw is associated with high levels of testosterone and masculinity.
How to treat a “Weak Chin”? There is an array of treatment options available in order to treat a ‘weak chin’. They are as follows:
- Mentoplasty: It is a plastic surgical procedure for the chin. It is also referred to as genioplasty or chinplasty.
The term ‘mentoplasty’ is derived from a Latin word mentum, which means chin, and the Greek verb plassein, which means “to shape” or “to form”. Mentoplasty can be performed for the following reasons: o In order to reshape a chin that is disproportionate to rest of the features of the face. o To correct abnormalities of the chin arising as a result of developmental malformations of the jaw bones. o As part of gender reassignment surgery. The shape & size of the lower jawline & chin are somewhat different in males & females. Some people go for mentoplasty as part of their gender transition (sex change operation).
Procedure of Chin surgery:
- To augment the chin, the surgeon starts by making an incision either in the natural crease line just below the chin or within the mouth, where gum and lower lip meet.
- By gently stretching this tissue, the surgeon creates a space where an implant can be inserted. This implant, made of synthetic material that feels much like natural tissue normally found in the chin, is available in a wide variety of sizes and shapes. This allows custom fitting of the implant to the configurations of the patient’s face.
- After implantation, the surgeon uses fine sutures to close the incision. When the incision is inside the mouth, no scarring is visible. If the incision is under the chin, the scar is usually imperceptible.
- In chin reduction surgery, incisions are made either in the mouth or under the chin. The surgeon sculpts the bone to a more pleasing size.
- For this surgery, the surgeon will make an incision inside the mouth and reposition the facial bones. The procedure, depending on the extent of the work, takes from less than an hour to approximately three hours.
- Chin fillers – Voluma: Juvederm VOLUMA is the latest of the Juvederm range of hyaluronic acid fillers particularly designed to restore volume in those regions on the face where it is lost; such as the cheekbones, cheeks, and chin.
- Chin implants: Various shapes, sizes and materials are available in chin implants. These help in magnifying different areas of the jaw. Some patients may require a more prominent chin, whereas others may require enhancement along the jaw line, however some may require both. Different materials in implants include – Medpor (high density porous polyethylene), ePTFE (Gore-Tex or expanded polytetrafluoroethylene), silastic implants (hardened silicone), and others.
At the time of inserting an implant in the chin, the surgeon makes a cut beneath the chin crease or within the mouth and creates a pocket to fit the implant right over the bone along the lower jaw. Thereafter, the incision is closed. For holding the implant in place, a tape or garment is used.
- Orthognathic Surgery: The word “orthognathic” is synonymous with “straight jaw”. It is a type of jaw surgery that is a combination treatment of Orthodontic and reconstructive surgery in order to move your jaws and teeth to a balanced position.
This surgery serves following purposes:
o Enhances facial appearance
o Brings about repositioning of misaligned jaw
o Improves functioning of jaw
o Helps to correct the imbalance between both the jaws – upper & lower
o Ensures that the teeth meet properly.
In summary, your chin plays a significant role in maintaining the balance & symmetry of your face. Having a prominent, pronounced chin, along with high cheek bones, can add up to your looks and appearance. Before making any decision on getting a Chin surgery, consult a top, well known Facial Plastic Surgeon who would give you the correct advice as to what kind of procedure you need to undergo, if need be. Dr. Debraj Shome is one of the best oculoplastic surgeons & facial plastic surgeons in the globe and is presently based in Mumbai, India. He has gotten super-specialty training in oculoplastic surgery, facial plastic and cosmetic surgery, eyelid surgery, Orbital and lacrimal surgery. Dr. Debraj Shome has an unique interest in the prevention and therapy of epidermis cancers, particularly those on the eyelids, cheeks, jaw and the rest of the face. He deals extensively with sebaceous gland carcinoma, basal cellular cancer, squamous cell cancer and melanomas in his training and treats them with incisional biopsy, excisional biopsy, Mohs surgery, cryotherapy, regional and systemic chemotherapy.
Dr. Debraj Shome is one of the best oculoplastic surgeons & facial plastic surgeons in the globe and is presently based in Mumbai, India. He has gotten super-specialty training in oculoplastic surgery, facial plastic and cosmetic surgery, eyelid surgery, Orbital and lacrimal surgery. Dr. Debraj Shome has an unique interest in the prevention and therapy of epidermis cancers, particularly those on the eyelids, cheeks, jaw and the rest of the face. He deals extensively with sebaceous gland carcinoma, basal cellular cancer, squamous cell cancer and melanomas in his training and treats them with incisional biopsy, excisional biopsy, Mohs surgery, cryotherapy, regional and systemic chemotherapy.